They had been asked on many occasions to start a local tango class which they did after returning from their second visit within a year to Buenos Aires in 2009. The original classes in Stirling were a huge success, so much so that they were soon asked to run classes in Glasgow too. They also run regular social events and workshops for all levels.
David and Denise have continued with their Tango and Teaching development with regular visits to Buenos Aires,.
In Buenos Aires in 2010 they each gained the certificate “Masters para Maestros de Tango” at the ‘Escuela Argentina de Tango’ after successfully completing an intensive teaching course taught by the world’s best Tango teachers and practitioners. Denise and David are the only Tango Teachers in Scotland to hold this prestigious Teaching Certificate.
Their main influence and teachers are Gustavo Naveira and Giselle Anne . In 2009 they attended two intensive week–long courses with Gustavo and Giselle. The theme of the first was on Deep Basics, a specially ordered programme created to deeply study the most important tango ideas, the second seminar was 20 hour course on Boleos and Sacadas.
During their visit in 2010 they attended their third Tango seminar with Gustavo and Giselle on Musicality, Phrasing and Rythmn.
In addition to attending these courses, David and Denise spend the rest of their time in Buenos Aires attending regular classes and workshops with Tango teachers such as Oscar Casas, Raul Masciocchi, Sebastian Achaval y Roxanna Suarez, Jorge Firpo, Olga Besio, Gustavo Rosas y Gisela Natoli . They have many close tango friends in Buenos Aires and regularly frequent the many Milongas and Practicas there.
Keen to develop the tango scene in Scotland, they are responsible for bringing world-renowned Electro-Tango band Otros Aires to Glasgow in 2011 in association with Celtic Connections, and are also organisers of the Scotland International Tango Festival .
Dance Qualifications and Experience
1. Masters para Maestros de Tango from the Escuela Argentina de Tango, Buenos Aires, Argentina 2010
2. Certificate - teachers seminar Sacadas and Boleos *
3. Certificate - teachers seminar Deep Basics *
4. Certificate - teachers semina Musicality, Rhythm and Phrasing *
5. World Tropicana Rueda Champion 2002, and runners up in 2003 and 2004.
6. Scottish Rueda Champions 2002, 2004
7. Longest running Salsa and Tango schools in the Stirling area. Teaching salsa since 1999, and tango since 2009
8. Taught workshops and classes across the U.K. and abroad in both Salsa and Argentine Tango and also worked with major art organisations to bring bands to scotland
*Certificates awarded by Gustavo Naviera and Giselle Ann after each intensive 20 hour seminar - all held at Papalera in San Telmo, Buenos Aires in 2009 and 2010